Monday 1 December 2008

Energy Cafe

At Gunpowder Park yesterday, near Rammey Marsh and Waltham Abbey in Essex, I visited Amy and Ella's project 'Under Construction' taking shape on this former munitions test site. Local geographic naming history, overlaying blast mound and cob fields was curious.

Their self-built wood stove reminded me of some Mongolian ones I'd seen, like Jadamba's in Zuragt. I used the kitchen (comparing water systems) and the bicycle power station, and was shown around the camp. We discussed making things from material on site, the process of building a Ger (Mongolian Felt Yurt) and whether one could be adapted to suit the damp in a place like this. I recommended viewing the film Mujaan, depicting a Mongolian craftsman building a Ger.

We ate some local food and talked about ideas like fishing in nearby King George's Reservoir and collecting mushrooms in Epping Forest.

No comments: